16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:16 – 17, New International Version)
Theme: The Local Church
Today we turn our attention to the Discipline of Counsel, and we will begin by considering questions about the role of Counsel in your local church.
Before considering the questions, it is worth remembering that Counsel works best in an atmosphere of trust.
- Does your local church encourage the sharing of wisdom, knowledge, and expertise within the church?
- Do the church leaders work actively to develop an atmosphere of trust (e.g., confidential information is kept confidential, and gossip is discouraged)?
- Are people in positions of influence adequately screened?
- Is hero worship discouraged and expertise honored in your local church?
Optional Secondary Questions (if you have the time):
- Does your local church have a mentorship program?
- Does your church have adequate forums for intergenerational dialogue?
While you are not expected to share your answers to the questions above, we would still love to hear from you. Based on your answers to the questions, what are your general observations about how local churches relate to Counsel?