1This, then, is how you ought to regard us: as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the mysteries God has revealed. 2 Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. (1 Corinthians 4:1 – 2, New International Version)
Theme: The Local Church
As we now turn our attention to the Discipline of Stewardship we will begin by considering some questions about the role of stewardship in your local church. First, some brief background on stewardship.
When we consider this discipline we are not just talking about money. Stewardship relates to all the resources that God has blessed us as individuals and as a local church with.
- Does your local church teach about the biblical principles of stewardship?
- Does your local church keep track of the skills and talents of its members?
- In the matter of financial stewardship, is your local church leadership held to account (transparency, budgets, reporting, etc.)?
- Do the leaders in your local church model good stewardship?
Optional Secondary Questions (if you have the time):
- Does your local church try to help members determine their spiritual gifts?
- Does your local church systematically give to needy ministries or missions ?
While you are not expected to share your answers to the questions above, we would still love to hear from you. Based on your answers to the questions, what is your general observation about how local churches relate to stewardship?