3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.. (Philippians 2:3 – 4, New International Version)
Theme: The Local Church
Today we turn our attention to the Discipline of Service, and we will begin by considering questions about the role of service in your local church.
Before considering the questions, it might be helpful to reflect on the fact that some local churches don’t get excited about this discipline. It is hard to reconcile this phenomenon with the love of God poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5). God’s love cannot be contained and one of the manifestations is service.
- Does your local church teach biblical principles about service?
- Is service a part of the culture of your local church?
- Does the service culture extend to interactions with the external community?
- Do your local church leaders model a life of service?
Optional Secondary Questions (if you have the time):
- Is your local church committed to local and foreign missions?
- Does your church recognize those who work ‘behind the scenes’?
While you are not expected to share your answers to the questions above, we would still love to hear from you. Based on your answers to the questions, what are your general observations about how local churches relate to service?