They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. (Acts 2:42, New International Version)
Theme: The Local Church
It was such a blessing to see the supportive exchanges in the commentaries last Friday and Saturday. Thanks to all who participated! As we now turn our attention to the Discipline of Worship we will begin by considering questions about the role of worship in your local church.
Before we consider the questions, it is worth remembering that worship (respect and adoration for God) is a whole-life activity.
- Does your local church promote a comprehensive view of worship?
- Does your local church encourage participative worship (i.e., all members play their part)?
- Do your local church leaders model a life of worship?
- Does your local church guard against church services becoming predominantly entertainment events?
Optional Secondary Questions (if you have the time):
- Does your local church make worshipping at the Lord’s table (communion) a priority?
- Does your local church have a process for ensuring worship songs are biblical?
While you are not expected to share your answers to the questions above, we would still love to hear from you. Based on your answers to the questions, what is your general observation about how local churches relate to worship?